Oulu region’s industrial history can be explored in an authentic environment at the Pateniemi Sawmill Museum. The building is a shipyard warehouse from the 1850s. In 1873, a steam sawmill, which would give most people in Pateniemi a living, was built next to the shipyard.
The museum opened in the former warehouse building of the sawmill, Nikkaripirtti, in the summer of 1989. At that time, the company Veitsiluoto Oy donated the building to the city of Oulu and the Northern Ostrobothnia Museum. With a history of nearly 120 years, the sawmill industry and the beautiful old sawmill area continue to form an essential part of Pateniemi.